In March 2018, the University of Warsaw, together with three other research-intensive European universities: Charles University (Czech Republic), Sorbonne University (France), and Heidelberg University (Germany), signed a declaration on the establishment of a European University Alliance which will bring together academics, researchers and students. The agreement was signed on 10 March 2018 in Paris by Prof. Marcin Pałys, Rector of the University of Warsaw, Prof. MUDr. Tomáš Zima, DrSc.,MBA, Rector of the Charles University, Prof. Dr. Jean Chambaz, President of the Sorbonne Université, and Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Bernhard Eitel, President of the Heidelberg University.
In autumn 2018, the Alliance expanded to include two universities, University of Copenhagen (Denmark) and University of Milan (Italy), 4EU thus became 4EU+. The six institutions signed a Memorandum of Understanding and approved a Mission Statement, which reflects the universities’ shared sense of responsibility in providing solutions to important global challenges and ensuring a better balance within European higher education.
The alliance aims at strengthening cooperation in research, education, the mobility of researchers and students as well as developing activities in innovation and entrepreneurship. The alliance will create a simple, flexible and reactive governing and management structure.
The cooperation is based on a common understanding of the idea of the European university that builds on academic freedom and autonomy and ensures fair access to education.
The aim of the alliance is to:
- create a unique and flexible academic environment for students, researchers and staff,
- remove obstacles to the free circulation of individuals, ideas and best practices between their universities,
- enable shared platforms and expanded access to the resources of our universities to address large, complex challenges,
- integrate teaching and research to provide a world-leading experience for students from over the world where new ideas will thrive,
- create a common infrastructure that provides added value for the individuals as well as for each particular university.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
OPPORTUNITIES FOR STAFF
- 4EU+ ALLIANCE – SUBSIDY FOR PARTICIPATION IN 4EU+ MEETINGS & JOINT EVENTS AND/OR FOR ORGANISATION OF 4EU+ MEETINGS & JOINT EVENTS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW
- 4EU+ ALLIANCE – MINI-GRANTS FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT OF FLAGSHIP PROJECTS OFFERED BY CHARLES UNIVERSITY – ❗application deadline: 31 March 2019
|→ More opportunities can be found on the 4EU+ website (Opportunities section)|